Melissa Benoist is an American actress and singer who is known for starring as the title character in the CBS television series Supergirl.
Full name: Melissa Marie Benoist
Born in: October 4, 1988
Born on: Houston, Texas
Education: Marymount Manhattan College
Father: Jim Benoist
Mother: Julie Benoist
Siblings: Jessica & Kristina
15 Facts About Melissa
- Melissa’s parents were divorced when she was young and father remarried.
- Benoist started dance at age 3.
- Since 13 years old, she has struggled with depression and anxiety
- As a teen, Melissa performed at Disneyland various medleys of musical songs.
- Performed locally in a number of theatrical productions.
- Moved to New York City to pursue a career in musical theater.
- Graduated from Marymount Manhattan College with a Bachelor of Artsin Theatre arts in 2011.
- Melissa was selected as an ambassador for Coca-Cola’s new product, P10 300 ml Coke Mismo.
- Benoist with Blake Jennerheld a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the production of their movie Billy Boy.
- Won Grand Jury and Audience awards for character Nicole in film Whiplash.
- Benoist in the lead role of Kara Zor-El, premiered on CBS.
- Became the first woman to play a superhero on prime time TV.
- Married in 2015, with Gleeco-star Blake Jenner.
- Officially Divorced in 2017 where she filed for divorce citing “irreconcilable differences”.
- . Benoist helped her Supergirlco-star Chris Wood’s launch of his website “I Don’t Mind” that works to put a stop to the humiliation around mental illnesses.
- Melissa’s net worth is more than $3 million after her divorce.